Marginalia, Graduate Blog

Goodbye and thank you from one ambassador

Katie Kather

Last day of school selfie

Last day of school selfie

Well, this is my last post for Marginalia, so I’m sending you with this giant selfie. It’s a strangely sentimental selfie because I took one very similar my first day of the program a year and a half ago. I remember exactly how I felt then—excited, nervous, hopeful.This time, I still felt those things, but I also felt a sense of accomplishment, gratitude and pride. That’s why I share this picture. It’s not just a dumb selfie. To me, it represents how I felt after finishing the Journalism MA program.

If you’ve been following along, you know I graduated last month, and now I live in Minnesota and work at Minnesota Public Radio. Life is crazy. Thank you for reading, tweeting and sending emails. I hope I’ve been able to answer some of your questions about what it’s like to be in this program.

My name at MPR

My name at MPR

Ever since I got accepted into the Journalism MA program, my life has been a whirlwind—in a good way.

I’ve had countless opportunities, met amazing people and grown in ways I probably still don’t even realize.

If you’re still on the fence about getting a Journalism MA at Columbia, I hope you decide to. Journalism is changing so quickly that it can hardly keep up with itself, but Columbia knows that, and somehow it keeps up. You won’t find a more hands on journalism program anywhere. The faculty at Columbia acknowledge all these crazy changes happening in the field, but they also stay grounded in the fundamentals: good, solid reporting skills, telling a story well and doing it all ethically.

And out of all the things I’ve said about the program, that is the most important thing.

Well, this is my last post for Marginalia, so I’m sending you with this giant selfie. It’s a strangely sentimental selfie because I took one very similar my first day …

Journalism MA Katie Kather, kathryn.kather@loop.colum.edu
600 S. Michigan Ave. Chicago, IL 60605

The Graduate Experience