Sharper Resolution

Sharper Resolution

[flickr id=”11711030954″ thumbnail=”medium_640″ overlay=”true” size=”medium_640″ group=”” align=”none”]

“3…2…1! Woo hoo! Happy New Year! Good bye 2013! Things are gonna be great in 2014! Right? I mean, they are, aren’t they? You promise? Good.”

That’s what was going through my head just a few short days ago. So how was your New Year’s Eve?

I spent mine at a wedding. Lots of friends, family, food and booze. As the band played on the memories of 2013 began to fade and the promise of 2014 came into focus. Elation gave way to the dreaded New Year’s resolutions.

[flickr id=”11710862393″ thumbnail=”medium_640″ overlay=”true” size=”medium_640″ group=”” align=”none”]

Every year I think about all the great and wonderful things I’m going to do. Like adopt, 5000 baby seals, knit cozies for Peruvian Nuns, or help replant the rain forest one seed at a time. This year I’m trying to figure out how to do something real.

Maybe I can do something that will affect my piece of the world. I’m not talking about a city, or even a block. I mean I want to be able to affect MY world, my three foot radius, the people right around me. How can I do that without coming off crazy? I think one of the best ways is to let people know they matter on a one-by-one case-by-case basis. Stay with me…I’m going someplace with this. We do this by listening. If we seriously keep our mouth closed, our ears open, and take in what others have to say, we given them value. We give them worth. In turn, we build bonds and trust.

Here’s where I going with this. At Columbia College Chicago, and in the film world,  you have to collaborate. As wonderful as it sounds, having someone second-guess your every decision or be ultra critical about your dream can be a challenge. To get through the rough patches it’s important to make those people part of the process. You have to listen and make difficult stressful moments learning opportunities, because your most meaningful growth comes when you are challenged as an artist and can defend your vision.

So for 2014 I’m going to talk less and listen more. Why not? It’s easier than a diet. Well, maybe not.