What I Did On My Summer Vacation…

What I Did On My Summer Vacation…

[flickr id=”9528798454″ thumbnail=”medium” overlay=”true” size=”original” group=”” align=”none”]Well, it had to happen eventually. Summer is coming to a close. Strangely enough, I am ok with that. Since this is going to be the last blog of the summer, I thought I would give a wrap-up report.
It has been a super eventful one for my family and me. It started out with some heavy job hunting, which led to some promising hopeful opportunities, which led to some crushing disappointment. During the interview process I thought that I was a shoe-in for a teaching gig down in the South Side, which of course did not pan out. My wife ended winning in the great race to employment 2013. This landed me firmly in a stay at home dad role, since childcare just wasn’t in the budget this time around. I am so super greatfull for all of the time I have been able to spend with these two. It’s been a learning process for sure, but I think that we all came out stronger and a know each other a lot better.

During this time we also were able to see a lot of family that we only get to see once each year. We drank great beer, caught up, and moved on.

I think that you’ve guessed it, the theme of my summer was family. Fitting, since my artwork is about that same theme. While being so focused on my family, I have been able to channel a lot of that into my work this summer. I’ve started a blog about my experiences as a dad. It’s been taking up most of my free time, which I can honestly say, there has not been much of. This has led me to the idea that I want to make a zine based on my blog. I have a few friends writing articles for me and am ready to start putting it together this fall. The biggest lesson that I have learned from this summer is that I don’t always need to be in my studio to be productive and that the creativity will work its way out regardless of where I am.

Not family related, I was also able to attend another comic book convention, helping out my friend Becca. I realized this time around that buying things at conventions, while fun (and not possible for me this time), is not the best part of a Con. I can’t express how much fun I have just people watching and cosplay spotting. The highlight, though, was attending John Barrowman‘s panel. It’s really great seeing a celebrity interacting with their fans and really enjoy it. It was entertaining, really silly, and then at one point very serious. Probably my all-time favorite convention moment.

Today, we wrapped up the summer with a trip to the beach. My daughter made friends instantly, while my son chased seagulls. It couldn’t have been a better day. So, so long sweet summer. I’ll see you again next year, but now I have t go to class.