Marginalia, Graduate Blog

Goodbye

Chelsie Batko

Wow!  Here it is, my final post as the Marginalia Dance/Movement Therapy student ambassador.  I cannot believe how quickly this last year has gone by or how much I feel I have changed as a student since beginning this program last August.  In the second post I wrote, I talked about how I had a lot to learn after completing the summer intensive that all first year students must complete prior to their first semester (by the way, welcome first year students).  I really did have a lot to learn, and I still feel like I am learning more and more with each day and each class.  However, I feel that being the ambassador has helped me so much to have the opportunity to reflect on what I have learned.  It has also helped me deepen my understanding of the field by integrating my learning into a weekly blog post.As I reflect on my past posts I have noticed that this position also pushed me to develop my creativity.  I remember the overwhelming fear that I had when I first started this position of, “what if I run out of things to talk about.”  However, as I have discussed in a past post, this program and this position have really helped me to become more creative as well observant.  Two skills, which I also feel, are so important in becoming a therapist.  I noticed things about the department and about the field and I also feel I began to notice things about myself I hadn’t been aware of before.  I began to recognize the importance of self-care, and in doing so discovered the topic for my master’s thesis:  Preventing burnout in graduate students.  I began to find my voice as a blogger and my voice as a therapist.

This ambassadorship has truly helped me to develop my ability to professionally describe many of the experiences that I have had as a student here.  Before starting this program, I remember the uncomfortable feeling I would get every time I was asked, “So what exactly is dance/movement therapy” and while I still feel that this is not always the easiest question to address, I feel as though I have become much more comfortable in articulating what it is.  My heart no longer races when I am asked this question, and though I feel that the answer maybe constantly evolving, I am more readily able to give an answer that makes sense to those who aren’t in the field.

So, as I complete this blog post, I would just like to thank all of you who have followed along with me on this journey.  Though it saddens me to say goodbye to the ambassadorship, I am very grateful to Graduate Admissions for having offered this opportunity, and will carry the skills I have gained from it in my work as a dance/movement therapist. Lastly, I say congratulations to Kaity, who will be taking over the ambassadorship next year.  I look forward to reading what she will have to write, and hope all you readers out there will follow her too!

Goodbye

Wow!  Here it is, my final post as the Marginalia Dance/Movement Therapy student ambassador.  I cannot believe how quickly this last year has gone by or how much I feel …

Dance/Movement Therapy & Counseling MA Chelsie Batko, chelsie.batko@loop.colum.edu
600 S. Michigan Ave. Chicago, IL 60605

The Graduate Experience