Marginalia, Graduate Blog

Summer Dancing

Justin Botz

Contact Improve for film Shoot

Contact Improve for film Shoot

This Summer I had the privilege of writing music and performing in a dance piece by choreographer, and Dance Movement Therapy and Counseling MA student, Courtney St. Clair, and it was one of the highlights of my summer.

Courtney was making a dance film and asked me in March if I was interested in composing the sound for two of the dances in the film entitled, “Going Through The Motions,” and “Elios.” A few months later, she asked if I would dance in one of the pieces as well!  I love to dance, and dancing with with this specific group of movers including Emily D’ Annunzio, Viktor Le , and Andrew Given was a fantastic experience.

Morning Dance shoot

Morning Dance shoot

The piece I performed in was called “Elios.” The film was shot and is being edited by Eli Vasquez, who was a great person to work with. For two days in a row we all got up at 2:30 in the morning and drove together in Andrew’s van to Montrose Beach to film one of the dances on the pier. I normally hate waking up early (before 10am) but this was special. Watching the sunrise was beautiful.

I hadn’t had a lot of formal dance training, but I did take a wonderful movement class taught by Nana Shineflug which really gave me a love for dance, and in the words of Martha Graham, “Great dancers are not great because of their technique, they are great because of their passion.”  It was a privilege to be able to work with such amazingly gifted and delightful people. This projects was definitely one of the major highlights of my summer, and I am excited to see what these artist do in the future.

Morning Dance performance

Morning Dance performance

Last Thursday, there was a performance of the piece at The Columbia Dance Center, and the finished video piece will be on display in Chicago in August.

Pier at Montrose Beach

Pier at Montrose Beach

Summer Dancing

This Summer I had the privilege of writing music and performing in a dance piece by choreographer, and Dance Movement Therapy and Counseling MA student, Courtney St. Clair, and it …

Interdisciplinary Arts & Media MFA Justin Botz, justin.botz@loop.colum.edu
600 S. Michigan Ave. Chicago, IL 60605