Marginalia, Graduate Blog

The Days of Summer: Columbia College Style

Bubba Murray

The dog days of summer fast approach. Classes are ending soon. For some of us, classes are ending for the semester. For others, classes are ending for…well…forever. So, when those summer days hit, what are you going to do? This is the time to figure out what you are going to do for the summer.

Traveling is a great summer option. I know it’s May, money is tight, and the bills seem to keep pouring in. However, if you can afford a way to take a break from Chicago, do it. The trip is not about having a grand extravagant adventure. It’s about putting yourself in a new situation. You should experience a different culture.  You don’t have to go far. Hop on a Megabus and take a ride to the Quad Cites. Spend the day in the burbs. I took a trip to Chinatown. A new perspective does wonders for inspiring your work.

Another summer option is getting a job. I’m not ashamed to admit that I’ve had a few jobs since starting at Columbia College Chicago. It’s been a crazy two years. Part-time jobs are a great way to get extra cash and learn a new skill. When you are learning, you are forced to keep an open mind and that is key to fueling the creative process. Did I mention the cash?

I can throw you suggestions, but what am I doing? I think one hundred percent of directing is preparation. Everything we do prepares us for the next project. Last summer, I spent a lot of time prepping for the fall semester by reading texts for the upcoming classes. It really helped. This summer, I plan to jump head-first into development of my thesis. I can’t wait.

If there is one take away from this musing it is that as classes come to an end, opportunities come to the forefront

Hop on a Megabus and take a ride to the Quad Cites…A new perspective does wonders for inspiring your work.

Film & Video - Cinema Directing MFA Bubba Murray, james.murray2@loop.colum.edu
600 S. Michigan Ave. Chicago, IL 60605

The Graduate Experience