Marginalia, Graduate Blog

New Year, Catch Your Breath

Steven Spiel

Bringing in the new year

Bringing in the new year

It’s January, and studying at Columbia in the Music Composition for the Screen MFA program (or any other program here) has one awesome perk: January classes. And by classes, I mean, no classes. We’ve been out of school since Christmas break, and the spring semester won’t start up again until January 29.

Of course, if you want to take some classes, that certainly is a possibility. There are orchestration and theory classes that may be of benefit to you. For me this year, the greatest benefit has come from working on some projects I haven’t had any time to complete. Here’s a small list of what I’ve been up to:

• Finished a piano composition for a client

• Arranged a Christmas piece for my wife and her sister to play on their violins with piano accompaniment

• Update of personal website (no, really check it out!)

• A submission to the Manifest video soundtrack competition (Cooper Rich won the one last year [you can play it down below], and the other two previous winners are Jose Ricaurte [here] and Carlos Martinez [here]. You’ll remember I wrote blog posts recently on Cooper Rich and his internship in LA and Jose Ricaurte’s internship with Heitor Pereira!)

• An assignment over the break to write a piece of music for a small ensemble—it will be played the first week back

YouTube Preview Image

Not to mention all the rest I’ve been able to get as I prep my entire being for next semester. It’s gonna be a crazy one, but I’m looking forward to it. I’m mostly looking forward to seeing the others from my cohort that I haven’t seen in a while. You become family while you’re here. The rest is great, but it will be great to get back into the swing of things. So grateful for January classes!

New Year, Catch Your Breath

It’s January, and studying at Columbia in the Music Composition for the Screen MFA program (or any other program here) has one awesome perk: January classes. And by classes, I …

Music Composition for the Screen MFA Steven Spiel, steven.spiel@loop.colum.edu
600 S. Michigan Ave. Chicago, IL 60605

The Graduate Experience