The End-of-the-Semester Juggling Act

The End-of-the-Semester Juggling Act

Right away, I would like to apologize for the scattered nature of this post. I have a ton of stuff going on right now, and most of it is very exciting!

What a crazy whirlwind week it has been. Two Saturdays ago was another Graduate Preview Day. We had a fantastic turnout. I had a great time trying to answer questions and showing some new faces the facilities in the Center for Book and Paper Arts. I really do enjoy getting to know the potential incoming students and being able to share with them what I think makes this such a great school. Thank you so much to everyone that came out to visit our school.

While on the way to the Graduate Preview Day, I got a phone call from my wife letting me know that we got approved for an apartment we applied for in Oak Park! So, let the packing commence! But not so fast…

As I write this, it is officially my last two days of the semester… Last time, I wrote about how stressed I was about going into the end of my first semester at Columbia College Chicago. Most of that stress has subsided. I turned in my last paper of the semester. That felt really good to get that in. It was a huge weight lifted off of my chest. Now, all I have left is my final critique in Thinking Through Making.

I have been spending the last few days trying to get a handful of projects to the completion stage. I am currently working on assembling four books. I’m using the handmade paper I made last week for them. Three of the books are pop culture science fiction inspired journal type books, and the last one is a book about my commute that I have been making all semester. Today, I spent the better part of the day assembling my book covers and getting them prepped for final assembly tomorrow. I’m very happy with how they are looking. I am going to feel all sorts of relieved once I get these all glued up and finished tomorrow. Then, I’m off to a presentation about my final paper and then the mildly terrifying six-hour critique on Friday.

Six hours. That is probably the scariest part of the crit. I’m feeling fairly confident about my work—its just the daunting task of being there for such a long time that is really getting to me. But it will be fine. I think. Either way, I’ll write about it next week. Most of my cohort has been pretty anxious to see how it goes and what format the crit will be in. Stay tuned, and I will share next time.

So that’s what I’ve been up to for the last week. Just two more crazy days and the break will be upon us. Also, be sure to check out the Think Through Making show that will be on display over break in the Center for Book and Paper Arts. Lots of great work has been done this semester, and it should be a great display!