Department of Art Hiring Studio Equipment Manager
Job Title: Studio Equipment Manager
Regular full-time position
Job ID: 37462
Apply On Or Before: 07/18/2014
The Department of Art at Florida State University invites applications for a new full-time staff position to begin in August 2014 or soon thereafter. The FSU Department of Art has labs serving all the discipline areas of the department – ceramics, digital media, photography, printmaking, sculpture, painting and drawing, and foundations. For a sense of the range of equipment in the department, please go to http://art.fsu.edu/About-Us/Media-Areas
The Department of Art at FSU (art.fsu.edu) is a research driven community of students and faculty dedicated to the dynamic interrelationship of ideas, processes, and practices. The Department of Art offers undergraduate programs BA & BFA in Studio Art, and a 3-year MFA in Studio Art. Our programs encourage interdisciplinary freedom through open inquiry across a wide range of emerging and traditional art practices, while also offering concentrations in digital media, painting and drawing, photography, printmaking, ceramics, and sculpture. Both BFA and MFA programs provide students large personal studios and a plethora of exhibition spaces.
FSU is a public, fully accredited, coeducational research institution with the Carnegie Foundation’s highest designation, Doctoral/Research University-Extensive, with strong support for faculty research and exhibition and is committed to fostering an academic community of excellence.
Anticipated Salary Range:
Salary is competitive and negotiable, depending upon qualifications and experience. Anticipated hiring in the upper 20′s to low 30′s. Benefits for the USPS (University Support Personnel System) positions can be reviewed at http://hr.fsu.edu/index.cfm?page=FacultyStaff_homepage
- High school diploma/equivalent and four years of experience. (Note: post-high school education may substitute for experience at the equivalent rate).
- Experience repairing and maintaining tools used for any type of fabrication. Fabrication skills to support installation of equipment and attendant parts/tools. Knowledge of the safe use of tools typically used in art studios.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; prioritize, organize, and perform multiple work assignments simultaneously; perform accurately in a detail oriented environment; utilize problem-solving and technical skills; and identify safety hazards and necessary safety precautions to establish a safe working environment.
Background Check Requirements:
This position requires successful completion of a criminal history background check.
- A technician with at least 3 years of experience maintaining equipment and tools in fine art and design laboratories and shops.
- A quick learner and good problem solver, who works well with others and independently.
- Proficient and knowledgeable regarding equipment in more than two studio areas, with some experience in other areas.
- It is recommended that applicants include a resume and cover letter summarizing relevant qualifications, including technical, administrative or management experience.
- The Studio Equipment Manager will have responsibilities as follows:
- Performs regular maintenance activities on Departmental equipment including but not limited to: all equipment associated with ceramics, digital media (except computer labs), photography, printmaking, sculpture, painting & drawing, and foundations. Also, equipment associated with the BFA/MFA warehouse (Carnaghi Arts Building) and any future classroom/studio spaces.
- Trains faculty and students in the safe use of equipment and assists with the use of equipment until user is proficient.
- Coordinates delivery & installation of new equipment within the department, and with both central receiving & facilities. Coordinates surplus and/or disposal of departmental equipment.
- Coordinates with staff in each area to establish regular cleaning, maintenance schedules and safety procedures for equipment. As well as perform other equipment related duties as assigned.
- Assists with Department of Art annual inventory, Coordinates internal inventories and equipment checkout in sculpture, photo, and digital media.
Certain service members and veterans, and the spouses and family members of the service members and veterans, will receive preference and priority in employment and are encouraged to apply for the positions being filled. For information on who may be eligible for Veterans’ Preference, go to https://jobs.fsu.edu/index.cfm?page=JobSeekers_Vets, or call FSU Human Resources at (850) 644-6034.
IMPORTANT: In order to claim Veterans’ Preference, applicants must upload a DD-214 (and other documentation, as applicable) with their online application prior to the close date of the job opening.
This is an USPS (University Support Personnel System) position.
How To Apply
If qualified and interested in a specific job opening as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu. Job Opening ID: 37462
Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include all work history up to ten years, and all education details even if attaching a resume.
Equal Employment Opportunity
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.
FSU’s Equal Opportunity Statement can be viewed at: http://www.hr.fsu.edu/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf
Tobacco Free Campus
Effective January 1, 2014, tobacco use, including simulated tobacco use, is prohibited on property, interior and exterior, owned or managed by Florida State University. This policy applies to all Florida State University students, employees, consultants, contractors, visitors, and external individuals.