Side Street Studio Arts in Elgin, IL is looking for an Artist-Intern for Summer 2013. SSSA was founded in January 2013 by Tanner Melvin and Erin Rehberg in an effort to fill a niche in the Elgin arts scene. Side Street’s mission is to provide an accessible space encouraging all aspects of the artistic process from creation to curation.
The Artist-Intern will:
· Assist in visual art exhibition installation and strike
· Assist in live performance and event production
· Work with the Directors on promotional and marketing campaigns
· Assist with outreach programs, including arts education, external productions
· Assist in the day-to-day operations of the store-front gallery/exhibition space
· Work on special projects directly related to their personal area of artistic experience
· On-site working 10 hours per week
· First-hand experience programming, installing, striking and promoting visual art exhibitions
· First-hand experience managing live performance
· Public and media relations experience
· Knowledge of gallery operations
· Opportunity to network, learn from, and work with a variety of professional artists
· Time and space to work on their personal art practice
· Income potential through teaching in education and outreach programming
· Culminating personal exhibition or performance at Side Street
· Upon completion of the Artist-Internship, the intern will be given Side Street Studio Arts for a week to curate a show, exhibit their own work, and/or produce a performance.
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills
· Strong writing skills
· A commitment to the arts and arts education
· Honed personal artistic practice
· Positive Attitude
· Knowledge of social media marketing
· Website design and production experience a plus, but not necessary
· Poster/marketing design experience a plus, but not necessary
· Press relations experience a plus, but not necessary
Submit the following 5pm, April 19:
· Contact Information (name, address, phone number, email address, website), artist statement, resume, and a paragraph explaining why you feel you would be a good fit for this internship. No more than 2 pages and resume.
· Work samples
Visual Artists –5-10 digital files or links to works
Performance/Media/Music Artists –DVD/CD cued to start or link to 5 minute sample
Writers –5 pages of work mailed or on digital file
· All work should be mailed in 1 package or emailed as PDF and digital files or links to Side Street Studio Arts.
· No late or incomplete applications will be accepted.
DEADLINE: April 19, 2013 5pm