Chicago Detours is not just a tour company but a cultural organization. We are dedicated to creating culturally enriching, educational experiences that integrate architecture, history and culture. So we are very excited to announce our new Chicago Detours Artist-in Residency Program.
We are welcoming artists of various media to make and show a project that demonstrates an original, critical, and creative idea for interpreting Chicago architecture, history, archives, tourism, landscape, the built environment, urban planning, neighborhoods, and communities. Standard cityscape photography is not what we are looking for. Any kind of media is welcome as long as it is not messy (i.e. oil paints or chemicals) since the residency will take place in a shared office space. We offer two-months office space at no cost, and a $400 stipend for the eight-week residency (15 hours/week).
- To encourage artistic inquiry into the city of Chicago architecture, history, tourism, landscape, neighborhoods, communities
- To support local artists by providing office/studio space downtown with easy access to museums, architecture and public transportation to Chicago neighborhoods
- To provide an opportunity for an artist to make and show a project (installation, documentary or experimental video, drawings, sculpture, collage, digital design, printmaking, photography, mixed media) that will contribute to his or her creative and professional development
- To aid an artist in connecting with new audiences for their work
Chicago Detours Provides
- 24-hour access to shared office space for two months ($550 value)
- A desk with lockable space for storage
- An exhibition or screening reception at the end of the residency (including refreshments, installation assistance, opportunity for sales, etc.)
- A $400 stipend for supplies
Expectations of the Artist
- Work in the office as often as necessary (must come a minimum of 15 hours/week and the artist is welcome to use the space to work on other projects)
- Post weekly social media updates on project
- Write three brief blog posts: one at the beginning of the residency, one for the fifth week, and one to conclude
- Produce one work for Chicago Detours permanent collection
- Session 1: September 1 – November 1
- Session 2: November 15 – January 15
Criteria for Evaluation
Artists-in-residence candiates will be evaluated on the following:
- Feasibility: The project has clear and realistic goals, timeframe, and is physically feasible to create within the environment of shared office space (minimal painting and use of chemicals permitted).
- Innovation: The project demonstrates an original, critical, and creative idea for interpreting Chicago architecture, history, archives, tourism, landscape, built envirnoment, urban planning, neighborhoods, communities.
- Experience: Applicant possesses skill in his or her media and demonstrates an ability to create, experiment, produce and complete a project.
How to Apply
Email email@example.com requesting the Artist in Residency application form. By August 15th, 2012 we will need to receive this form as well as:
- Artist statement with proposal for the project you would like to complete in the residency (350-1000 words). This should include how the work will fit within what we do with Chicago Detours (in-depth, critical examination of architecture, history, culture, geography, and tourism)
- Links or attachments to 3-10 examples of your work
- Current resume/CV
- There is no application fee.
DEADLINE: August 15th, 2012