Adjunct Faculty Spotlight: Justin Hoot

Adjunct Faculty Spotlight: Justin Hoot

Justin Hoot, facultyJustin Hoot has been with the Business & Entrepreneurship department for 3 years teaching Digital Media Strategies. Take a look at this short interview with Justin to learn a little more about one of our amazing faculty.

What is your story?

I grew up in Pittsburgh, graduated from West Virginia University in 2004 with a degree in Economics and moved to Chicago in 2005. I spent the first half of my career as a headhunter before founding a service company for the music industry in 2009 called VEOBA. Following that, I spent 2.5 years with a boutique Chicago design firm called Someoddpilot, in the capacity of account director. In 2014, I joined up with The Uprising Creative, a Los Angeles based creative agency with locations in LA, Chicago, Nashville, and London. I’m currently in a dual role there as both an account executive and a project manager. My wonderful wife and I recently welcomed our daughter Rumi, this past January.

What projects have you been working on recently? Does it relate to what you do at Columbia or our community?

I am currently working on large scale digital and experiential projects with Converse and Converse Music. And yes, it absolutely relates to the course that I teach.

Where do you draw inspiration from?

My students, my daughter, the world at large,  and how and what people respond to in both the digital and physical space fascinates me. Creating those experiences and getting those reactions/results is a big driver for what myself and my team does on a daily basis.

How does your time outside the classroom influence your time in the classroom?

I’m fortunate to be able to teach what I do as a career. I spend 50+ hours a week in the thick of it and I believe that my students appreciate the real world experience that I bring to my classes.

What words of wisdom would you give to the current students?

Keep your eye on the future, but make sure you stand firmly in the present. Have an idea of where you want to go, but keep yourself open to opportunities along the way, especially the ones that look/feel risky. Lastly, if you ever feel stuck in your life, in your career, don’t be afraid to make changes. It’s a long life, and you can do anything you want to or be whoever you want to be. It’s never too late to re-invent yourself or do something that makes you happy.