Student Spotlight: Joshua Robinson (MAM ’15)

Josh Robinson

Joshua Robinson is a second year graduate student in the Business & Entrepreneurship department. His goal is to become the executive director of Chicago-based Improvised Theatre Company.  The company’s mission is to “…generate improvisational theater that enhances theaters in Chicago-land and beyond.” Robinson is currently working with other improvisers to build this startup. Recently we interviewed him to learn more about the theater company, his personal goals, why he chose the Business & Entrepreneurship program.

You are playing a key role in the your company’s development, what are some of your responsibilities and how do you balance between those tasks and maintaining your academic studies?

Joshua: “This is one of many artistic projects that I have going on, as well as working as Graduate Ambassador and Student Editorial Assistant in the marketing department, not to mention full-time coursework. Part of the balancing act is making peace with the fact that I am allowed very little free time. I am always working on something, but that doesn’t mean I’m not enjoying it.

To me working on an artistic project like The Improvised Theatre Company, is all about having a passion. I think of my artistic work, even if it’s organizational, financial or muddling through contracts as more play than business. And honestly, at this stage, things are still fairly simple from an administrative standpoint. I’m also very lucky to have the support and assistance of an amazing group of actors/directors. It really is a collaborative process where we are all driving together.”

What is your theater background, and how does it tie in with future plans for the theater company?

Joshua: “I have worked as a Public Relations Director and Crew Coordinator for a Comedy Improv Theater in Denver, CO called Bovine Metropolis Theater. I also served as producer for a number of shows at that same theater and performed in a number of shows there. I’ve performed Improv in Chicago and Denver, as well as cities throughout the Midwest at festivals with my independent team Lost Dog. I’ve done everything from directing, to running lights, to taking out the trash and it’s all because I have a strong passion for improvised theater and I have a passion for organizing and producing new shows.

I’m currently working on a comprehensive business plan for the company, and have identified a number of potential revenue streams. For now, it will exist as a theater company without a home, but ideally we’d be able to build up revenue and partner with existing theaters. Perhaps one day we’ll have multiple locations in a couple places nationwide. That’s the big big goal, but starting in the immediate, I need to crank out this business plan, determine sources of funding, and solidify our artistic product so we can really hit the ground running.”

What are two important facts you feel others should know about The Improvised Theatre Company that sets you all apart from the rest?

Joshua: “First, we have an amazing cast of collaborators, people who have, or are performing at Second City, iO, The Annoyance, MCL, The New Under The Gun Theater, the list goes on obviously, but these are truly dedicated and talented people whom I cannot thank enough. I could turn every one of these questions into a chance to sing their praises. Without their hard work, I wouldn’t have the opportunity to answer these questions.

Second, we are creating improvised plays, or instant theater, if you will, guided by the great artistic direction of Kat Bond. We aim to create fully realized publishable work in the moment.

There was a collaborative in the late 1960’s called Instant Theatre that did really amazing and influential work in spontaneous theater. We are honoring that heritage, and researching our butts off, and it’s dramatic, which is slightly unusual. Ultimately, we’re trying to return theater to its roots in psychology and social work to create really meaningful cathartic experiences for our audiences.”

How has Columbia’s Business & Entrepreneurship program prepared you for future career growth?

Joshua: “Columbia College Chicago has helped me immensely. It might sound trite, but Columbia has opened up a new paradigm for me. Before coming to Columbia, I was purely artistic with some management experience, but the classes and connections I’ve made at Columbia have revealed a lot about the world of business to me, and it has enhanced my artistic side that much more.”

To learn more, check out their website below:

http://theimprovisedtheatrecompany.weebly.com/