Arts Management: India

The following is a personal account of a recent teaching experience from J. Dennis Rich (AEMM Chair Emeritus & Faculty) –

In 1999 I had the privilege of being the lead trainer the International Center for Cultural Management in Salzburg, Austria.  One of the fellows was named Pooja Sood.  Pooja came from Delhi and her project was the development of an arts incubator and exhibit space called Khoj.  Fifteen years later, Khoj runs a variety of programs including workshops, residencies, exhibitions, community arts projects, and lectures.  Khoj has supported the experimentation of many leading Indian artists, many of whom have achieved international acclaim.  Khoj also created ArtThink South Asia which is a training program similar to the one I  worked with in 1999.

So, after 15 years, Khoj is an important player in the cultural scene in India and Pooja Sood is a leader in the training of young arts managers.  In the winter of 2013, I was invited to train ArtThink fellows during the current residency program.  During the week of April 1, 2103 I worked with participants from India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Iran, and Pakistan, teaching them cultural marketing and fundraising.  It was a learning opportunity for the fellows and for me.  I am proud to have been a part of the ArtThins South Asia program.