Hubbard Street Dance Chicago’s Production Manager coordinates all production related activity for Hubbard Street Dance Chicago, including planning, scheduling and execution of performances & events for Hubbard Street Dance Chicago and Hubbard Street 2.
HSDC performs an annual season subscription series in Chicago, collaborates locally with organizations including the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and Art Institute of Chicago and tours for several weeks each Season.
The Production Manager is responsible for hiring and supervising production employees including the Lighting and Technical Director, Wardrobe Supervisor, and stage crew, as well as generating production schedules and overseeing the production budget.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Hire and supervise all production employees, including HSDC crew, Wardrobe Supervisor, and Lighting & Technical Director
• Act as liaison between the Employer and I.A.T.S.E.
• Supervise all labor hired by venues where HSDC performs including carpenters, electricians, props persons, fly persons, weight loaders, and/or truck loaders at load-ins, rehearsals, performances and load-outs
• Travel on tour with HSDC
• Acquire information on touring venues; contact and maintain good relations with presenters
• Create advance paperwork for all HSDC engagements, including line schedules and tech riders to send to venues
• Communicate with venue TDs regarding all aspects of performance
• Administer the Technical Requirements portion of the HSDC touring contract
• Communicate potential problems on all theatres, tours, schedules and/or budgets to artistic staff
• Schedule trucking and transportation, and insure that all proper documentation, insurance and permits have been acquired, including international freight and carnets
• Assist in planning and implementing all truck packing and maintain manifests of loaded equipment as required by transport and commerce regulations
• Maintain a general understanding of HS2 touring and production operations; communicate with HS2 presenters to advance tour performances
• Ensure a safe working environment for load-ins, rehearsals, performances, and loadouts
• Ensure that all soft goods are flame proofed and certificates are kept current
• Act as point of contact for outside rentals of HSDC scenery, props, and wardrobe
• Create and monitor yearly production budget in coordination with General Manager; oversee budgets for creation of new work with Lighting & Technical Director
• Meet with other department heads and staff as necessary to discuss matters pertinent to the production department and/or the company as a whole
• Assure all warehouse and technical spaces are clean and organized in a safe and efficient manner
• Supervise and manage all production facilities owned/operated by HSDC
Applicants must have 5 years related experience with a major not for profit arts organization. Applicants should possess strong organizational skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously. The successful candidate will demonstrate commitment to achieving high standards within limited resources. Applicant should have a basic working understanding of all elements of stagecraft including stage management, lighting, carpentry, properties, and audio. Applicant should have experience with national and international touring as well as supervisory experience in a union environment.
Applicant should have literacy in a Microsoft Office environment and proficiency with specific production and lighting software including Lightwright, Vectorworks and AutoCAD.
Applicant must have a valid driver’s license, ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds, and ability to work at heights up to 25 feet.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and salary history via email to: email@example.com.
No phone calls please. Hubbard Street is an Equal Opportunity Employer.